Bug (maybe old) on extended

discuss things related to Warzone Tower Defense.

Re: Bug (maybe old) on extended

Postby jgold on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:06 am

yeah it must have something to do with slow down with that ton of stuff of going on. That error message is very helpful though I can probably put something in to catch the error if the sound fails to play.

Flash only does multi-threading for graphics rendering I believe, no access to seperate threads through code unfortunately.
jgold
Site Admin

Postby jgold on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:26 am

i added some checks into the audio for null cases.. maybe this will do it, I don't think I have ever gotten to level 200+ so maybe why its never happened to me.
jgold
Site Admin

Postby samishii on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:42 pm

jgold wrote:I don't think I have ever gotten to level 200+ so maybe why its never happened to me.

You probably play it legit style. The board I posted has two paths and I set down a block and destroy it many times to keep the game alive. This is where I wish there was a faster cash flow in the later game. It gets so hard to upgrade anything that you have to die and start over or your just going to sit therefor 10 minutes waiting for the next money income. lol

Update: I am on Wave 180 currently, so far no menu bug, however... I have noticed a significant amount of new lag. Maybe this is due to new checks you placed in for the Nulls. Which is fine. But maybe it might be a good idea to code in an option to disable all audio? Or Music / FX? Disabling all internal audio calls, and freeing up alot more Bandwidth to allow for game play.
Just a thought.

Update: Wave 197... I found the source of that lag... Somewhat. When I have the cursor inside the Flash frame is lags (I was watching the count down timer for the next wave). It lags alot whenever you move the mouse around inside the frame. If you keep the cursor still inside, its ok, but move it, and the game practically stops while your moving it. Its still really slow if you move the cursor slowly. But not many people I know move the mouse slowly. :P

Update: Wave 214... Menu is still displaying nicely. I tried to test it. Clicked menu, return to game, about 5 times in rapid succession. I broke the audio. :? lol The game now only plays sound FX speraticly. But the BG Music is still running fine! No flash error. :( But the menu still works! :D lol...
samishii

Postby jgold on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:57 pm

i changed the audio compression which may account for some lag.. but i thought what i changed it to would be faster actually. The mouse cursor thing is really weird to me, I have no idea why that would matter.

just out of curiosity what are you system specs ?
jgold
Site Admin

Postby samishii on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:28 pm

I don't have a job, or I would have an i7 board setup right now. *sigh*
I'll restart my game and check out the improvements. (I still wish you would up the money multiplier on the mobs. 8-) )

Specs:
Processor: Dual-Core @ 2.13GHz 800MHz FSB
RAM: DDR2 2Gb @ 800MHz
Video: GForce 8400 Pci-Express x16 512 RAM DDR2
OS: Windows XP SP3. Flash 10 Debugger. I use all browsers and their up to date (web programmer) :P
samishii

Postby jgold on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:49 pm

well a 2.13 core 2 is a pretty decent processor anyways, was just wondering because of the performance level. Just got a i7 myself but that doesn't really give a "real world" level of performance.

I looked through the code for things that were related to mouse movement events.. and there were a few, so i pruned them out and unlinked them from the mouse. Potentially that could of caused some slow down i guess as those events will get fired in between frames how ever many times. I also nixed audio compression.. and just went with raw / wav which will maybe help performance. I also just stop all sound when the menu comes up now as the pausing seemed to be the source of the audio issues.

UPDATE : The patch had some really weird side effects so rolled back for now while i look into it.

UPDATE : back live again.. strangest bug i had ever seen all the bullets stop in the air when they were shot out of the cannon.. then when you lose the game all the bullets would then fly towards their targets somehow that was a side effect of a audio bug.
jgold
Site Admin

Postby samishii on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Wow, lol. That is a pretty strange bug. Weird how the audio bug would cause that.
Guess that audio code needs more null handlers. lol
samishii

Postby samishii on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:08 am

Was out today only had a chance to get testing recently...

@ Wave 223. Menu still works. I haven't been able to "Break" the audio either yet.
The mouse_over lag is still occuring. Though heres a weird thing about it... When I move the mouse, just left to right, or up and down. It lags, but the game stutters and still inches forward slowly... However. If I move the mouse in circles within the game frame. The game stops altogether. And there is still a noticeable difference in speed (watched the wave timer) when the move is even in the frame.

Wheres that money fix? lol! (wishful thinking)
samishii

Postby jgold on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:43 pm

hmm well i will look into the mouse thing some more when i get a chance.

The money thing is kinda of intentional though. Without some diminishing return on killing things the game would simply go on forever. Which game mode do you play in default ? the "quick cash" mode has a 50% income boost ( or something like that ).
jgold
Site Admin

Postby samishii on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Yea quick cash is the only way I can survive to wave 250.
Your right it would go on forever but it would also give players a chance to Survive longer against the waves, which might make them play more.
I know I would play more personally. if I could upgrade more towers to kill the enemies better, then there would be less end game lag too cause I wouldn't have to bunch up enemies into groups or do the 2 path swap on them... Just a thought. Either way love the game still. :P
samishii

PreviousNext

Return to Warzone Tower Defense